Module Building Guide
The goal of this section is to document a clear, repeatable way for developers to create modules to supplement and enhance the operation of the web2project system. There are numerous code samples included because showing is often more important than explaining. As certain non-core functionality becomes standardized, some of it will be added to the core system itself. This will not only simplify Add On development but also make sure that all modules adhere to the same standards and logic flows.
Failure to follow the recommendations in this section will lead to poor modules, brittle code, security vulnerabilities, and even bad hair days. None of these are pleasant.
- All input MUST be filtered before it is used in any capacity to help prevent security vulnerabilities such as SQL injection and Cross Site Scripting attacks.
- A module MUST NOT have include or construct raw SQL statements.
- A module MUST NOT have references to the w2p_Database_Query class/object outside of the module’s core class and (optional) subclasses.
- A module SHOULD use core web2project function/method/API calls instead of copy/pasting logic into your own module.
- A module SHOULD adhere to our Naming Conventions for variables, methods, etc.
- All code within a module SHOULD adhere to the formatting specified by the PSR-4 Coding Standard. To evaluate your own code, please use Code Sniffer.
To see the details of this guide in action, check out the Todo Module as an example.
Table of Contents
Extending the System
Hooks are how we extend the system by allowing you to connect into specific processes and actions in standard, consistent ways with minimal effort without modifying Web2project core. This ensures you can accomplish what you need and your modules remain compatible through Web2project upgrades.
Available Since v3.0 (September 2013)
- Workflow Hooks (pre-create, post-create, pre-delete, post-delete, pre-load, post-load, pre-store, post-store, pre-update, post-update)
Available Since v1.1 (September 2009)
- Calendar Hook
- Cron Hook
- Search Hook