This file gives an overview of the purpose and status of the module. Further, since it sits at the root of the repository, most Git hosting systems will render it for visitors. Therefore, it should be written carefully as most people will read this before trying the module.
- What is the purpose of this module?
- Does it compare to another piece of software?
- What features or functionality does it provide?
- Does this module require any other software? Does it require specific versions?
Most of the time, these should be exactly the same as any other module: download, unzip, put into the modules folder, and enable it through the system admin.
- How does the user get started?
- Are there configuration steps or additional permissions required?
- Are there nuances or specific things a user should know about the user interface or workflow?
- Are there known issues with the module?
- Are there incomplete features or functionality gaps?
- Are there oddities in UI, functionality, or features the user should be aware of?
- These should be broken out by version and clearly describe the fix or improvement.
- What bugs were fixed?
- What improvements were made?
- Why did you make that change?
- This should be a list of each version and when it was released.
- Any deprecated versions should be marked with a
strikethroughso the reader knows to avoid them.
Additional Notes (optional)
- Are there other users, companies, or organizations that deserve credit?
- Were you inspired by a blog post, forum thread, or user?